6.26.2009

Porkchop sandwiches?!

I was not born with grace or balance. I remembered this little fact today when I fell as hard as I could on my ass on a pebble beach, and accidentally mooned the small children who were kayaking in the ocean.

But I digress.

Yesterday was pretty much dedicated to WWII, so it was another depressing day. We went to the American cemetery at Omaha Beach, and it was overwhelming. There were white crosses everywhere, and as we walked down the main aisle, the bells started to play "My Country 'Tis of Thee". I may or may not have cried a little bit behind my sunglasses. At the monument with the list of all the names, I found Luther Waugh. I wonder if he's a relative of my family or the Scottish Waughs. Either way, still very sad.

We then continued to another part of Omaha Beach, where there is a statue dedicated to the soldiers who lost their lives. Another sad moment, but I did liven it up a bit when I took my Titanic picture. (see below) Next was another beach with insane cliffs. I can't remember the name of the area, but it was seriously bombed; there were deep craters everywhere. After paying some respect, Liz, Katie and I took some top model pix. (Because I still act like I'm 5 years old, from time to time)

Next was another war museum, which was kind of small, but it was significant for the town. The church, St. Mere Eglise, was were American troops landed. One soldier got caught on the actual roof of the church, and had to play dead for 2 hours. Intense.

And now, today. We started out in a cute little town, Enfleur, and I drank some Earl Grey tea (and obviously thought of Richard Green while doing so) with some of the group, while looking at the river.

After that, we headed to another small town for lunch. We had 3 hours at this town, so we got to have a decent, relaxing lunch. And once we finished, I went down to the pebble beach with 2 other people, and stayed there for a good hour and half. Most of the time was spent throwing rocks into the beach. It was pretty sweet.

On the way to our current hotel, we stopped at a local farm that makes sparkling cider. We learned about the process, and then had a tasting. Very good, and pretty cheap if you bought it there. I liked the cider, but not enough to buy a bottle of it. The apple juice, however, was BOMB. So good. I still prefer wine over anything else. Surprise, surprise.

Tonight was our last night eating together as a traveling group. It was a delicious dinner (duck entree..yum!), and a lot of fun. We finished dinner with what I think was brandy. All I was missing was a cigar.

Tomorrow we head to the town where Joan of Arc was burned, and then.....PARIS. I'm so excited to meet my family, but I'm sure I'll be ridiculously nervous once I get there. I'll keep everyone updated via blog and skype, of course.

P.S. anybody ever watched the G.I. Joe parodies on youtube? So funny.




I'm a cocktail!


Watching for enemy troops. Serious business.


Inappropriate? Yes. Awesome? Oh hell yeah.


At the cemetery



Saddest day of the trip.


3 comments:

  1. Great post today, Steph. Glad you were back on American soil for a while today at the American cemetary. Let us know when you get to your host family and get settled in. I presume you will receive your Metro Pass when you get to Paris so that you can get around and find your school on Monday.

    I'll bring my webcam home over the weekend to Skype. 100 degrees here again today...sighhhh.

    love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a good time to Skype with you?

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm eating dinner with your parents tonight. it's going to be fabulous. also, please respond to my facebook message. xoxo

    ReplyDelete