6.22.2009

Ton visage est un blague! (your face is a joke!)

Helllllloooo, blog!

Word of the wise: the internet in Moelan sur Mer= not good. And the people who owned our hotel hated us.

Saturday was our free day, which meant beach day. The thing is, though, the beach was on the whole other side of the town. So Liz and I (we were the first to get up, I think.) asked our bus driver how to get to the beach. He gave us directions, and we started to walk. Long story short, we got lost. We ended up by a dried-up river. And by dried up, I mean boats were sitting in mud. There were two maps in this area, so we went to look at them. Neither one said where we were on the map, so we were forced to ask for directions again. We went to an older man who had just pulled up in his truck, and was playing with his jack russell terrier. Liz and I did our best in French, but he decided to answer in English. Apparently, we were no where near the beach, so he told us to get into his car. While Liz hesitated, I hopped into the backseat, so she followed. (The cute dog, Chip, got to sit her lap. So jealous.) So the nameless man drove us to the beach. And that's how I accidentally hitch-hiked.

Beach day was pretty good, although it was cold. Annnnd the beach wasn't a swimming beach. Whatevs, there was a creperie nearby, so I was happy.

Later that night, I went out with a bunch of people to our group to the beach. We drank while watching the sun set, and played never-have-I-ever. (I learned quite a bit about these people.) I went back with 3 other girls around midnight, while everyone else went to some biker bar. I refuse to be extremely tired and/or hungover on this part of the trip. We had a dog, whom we named Brian, after our GTA, walk with us all the way back to the hotel. Quel bon chien.

Let me take this time to describe the hotel. I mean, it seemed pretty sweet at first. Liz and I had three beds at our disposal, there was a restaurant attached, and we were kinda near a beach. However, this hotel had some character flaws. For example, after the beach, we wandered into our room to find a giant puddle in the middle of the room. The bathroom was dry, the ceiling was dry, and nothing had been spilt. And yet, the carpet was soaked. It took 3 towels to soak it up, and it still started to smell like mold. The toilet ran all night, we had only one working outlet, the remote only worked on rare occasions, our sink broke, and the entire management despised us. Literally, they were straight-up rude.

Sunday was kind of a weird day. We went to several little port towns, but since it was Sunday, nothing was open. So we basically drove around all day.

Today was pretty awesome, not gonna lie. Liz and I found PIZZA for lunch. This is a pretty big deal, because usually for lunch, we have a picnic of sandwiches on the side of a random road, and always with the same ingredients. We went to Mt. Saint Michel, which I am in love with. Amazing views, fun touristy shops, and great history. I bought some really pretty prints that I'll probably frame. After spending some time there, we went to a bell foundry. SO COOL. We saw how bells are made, which is actually pretty intense. We were one of three foundries in France, and I think there's a total of 30 in the world, but don't quote me on that.

Now we are in Caen, which is a really cool city. And everything in our hotel works, and dinner was soooo good. I'm so happy to be here. I'm not homesick anymore, although I am still going through cellphone withdraw. It's not easy, man.

R.I.P. hair straightener






With some of the girls at Mt. Saint Michel


love, love, love


With Liz at one of the swimming beaches. Too bad we were in normal clothes.


Beach day, post-accidental hitch-hiking


soooo pretty.




6 comments:

  1. This is Elizabeth Wine (found your blog on facebook), what an adventure you are having it! I have put this into my google reader so I can keep up. Have fun and hope you get a better hotel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a better (even great) day today, Steph. It was good to see pix of Mont St Michel again. I'm beginning to look fwd to being back in France in a few weeks.

    love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the bottom photo the church all by itself at Mont St. Michel??? Love the photos and please don't accidentally hitch hike again. : )

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephy,

    This posting business reminds me of Xanga. Oh, well.

    We need to Skype soon. I don't know what time it is there, but I'm sure you can wake up for me. :0)

    I've always found that smiley face to be creepy.

    I think Hadley should come to Lawrence and avoid "mmbb." He sounds like an STD.

    I miss you like a fat kid miss cake? Is that the expression?

    Whatevs,

    Austy

    ReplyDelete
  5. MareMare- That is not a church. It's a random house on a cliff by the beach in Moelan sur Mer.

    Austy- COME TO FRANCE. I get on skype at like 11:30am your time, and then at like 3pm your time. So, skype at work. K? K.

    ReplyDelete